Qualified senior citizens, aged 65 years and older, are invited to apply for the Senior Citizens’ Real Estate Tax Deferral Program. The program allows participants to defer property tax payment until the property is sold. The deferral is treated as a loan and accrues 6% simple interest until paid. To qualify:
- be age 65 by June 1st of the year for which the application is made.
- have a household income of less than $65,000.
- own and occupy the property.
- have lived in Illinois in a qualifying property at least 3 years.
- be liable for payment of real estate taxes on the property.
- have no delinquent real estate taxes.
- have fire and casualty insurance on the property.
- file application by March 1st in the year the taxes are due
For more information, contact the DuPage County Treasurer’s Office at 630 407-5900 or https://www.dupagecounty.gov/treasurer/.
Gwen Henry, Treasurer